Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chest of Drawers

I recently purchased the Sizzix Candy Drawer Box die. I've seen a few posts on the web where people have combined a few of them to create a set of drawers and thought they looked great.  My sister's birthday is coming up.   She makes jewellery and always has lots of little bits and bobs that need organizing.


I had a bunch of matte board sitting around from the cut-out portions of an art series I  framed.  I cut 6 sets of drawers and constructed them.  For the drawers to line up I found it best to stick to the same material for all drawers.  Also important is to place the double overlapping sides of the cases along the same edges.


I covered the fronts with decorative paper (printed digital scrapbookking papers onto textured sketching paper).


Using the same matte board I cut pieces to form the outer top, bottom, sides and back.  I sanded and distressed the edges with distress ink. To construct the boxes I used double-sided tape, but for the outer pieces I used wet glue to give me a longer set time.  This required the use of clothes pegs for clamps and weights.


For the drawer pulls, I raided by button bucket.  I punched two small holes in each drawer front and tied the buttons to the drawers with thin leather cord.

Because the drawers are all the same size, they can be rearranged to suite your design and colour fashion whim.  Happy Birthday Della!

No comments: